· Basic pizza dough
· ¾ pound fresh sardines
· Sea salt (for dredging)
· 1 pound plum tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
· ½ cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
· 1 medium onion (chopped)
· ½ pound young mild Provolone cheese (diced or sliced)
1. Prepare the pizza dough.
2. Wash the sardines and roll in the salt.
3. Cut up the tomatoes.
4. In a large pan heat ½ cup olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion until it is translucent.
5. Add the tomatoes and simmer for thirty minutes stirring occasionally.
6. Add half the sardines and take off the heat immediately.
7. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
8. Roll out the dough and lay it in a lightly oiled pizza pan.
9. Using half the tomato sauce and all the cheese, cover each pizza and bake 20 minutes.
10. Add the rest of the sauce and place the remaining sardines on top radiating outwards like the spokes of a wheel.